Join the Inkjetter Email Toll Free 888-248-8774 My Account Help Shopping Basket
Inkjet Paper by Inkjet Experts
Untitled Document
You are here: InfoCenter » Inkjet Tips » How to Tell the Printable Side of Photo Inkjet Paper

How to Tell the Printable Side of Photo Inkjet Paper

Inkjet paper can be single sided or double-sided. In the case of single sided media, one side is coated for photo quality printing while the other is simply plain paper. With matte and cotton fine art papers, telling one side from the other can be a challenge. Here are some tips to find the coated printable side of your inkjet photo paper.

To start, inkjet paper is typically packed print side up in the box. If you have the box handy, compare your paper in-hand to some from the box. You might be able to match the sides with a quick examination.

If that does not work, take a close look at the paper under bright light. The coated side should look more uniform with an even pattern. The back will look more uneven and possibly rough. In some cases you will be able to make out the fibrous structure of the paper stock.

Coated side / front

Uncoated side / back

Another way to find the printable side is to lick your finger and lightly touch a corner on the front and back. Your finger will stick slightly to the coated side.

Finally, make a small mark on the front and back with a highlighter. The brighter more well defined mark is on the coated side.




Join the Email List Today!

Join 75,000 photography and printing fans for special offers and money saving deals first. Get better results from your photo printer with weekly tips and helpful links. Join today!

Sales / Support

Popular Links

Shipping and Returns

Product Reviews

© 1997-2019 Red River Paper, Inc. 8330 Directors Row Dallas, Texas 75247

Privacy & Security   User Agreement & Disclaimer  Site Map

Prices, specifications, and images are subject to change without notice. Not responsible for typographical or illustrative errors.

Sony, Mitsubishi, Red River Paper brand high density & high gloss ultrasound paper -

Red River Paper products proudly converted, packaged, sold, and supported from the U.S.A.